Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Remember To Wash The Basil

10 Basil Leaves
Havarti Cheese ( I suppose a 2" x 4" piece)
3 Slices of Prosciutto
1 Piece of Whole Wheat of Flat Bread
Coupla Shakes of Balsamic Vinegar
1 oz. Olive Oil

I got this recipe from my roommate. It's pretty awesome. Begin by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Spread the olive oil on the flat bread all the way to the edges. Put out half the cheese in little pieces (grate it if you like, but havarti is kinda gooey and it will probably stick to the shredder). REMEMBER TO WASH THE BASIL, mine was so dirty, and usually I don't wash my produce, but this time I could feel the grit on my fingers. Tear the basil into smaller pieces so you don't have to when you're biting it later. Don't you hate it when you take a bite of pepperoni pizza and you pull off the whole pepperoni so that there's none for the next bite? Tear up half the prosciutto, then place the flat bread onto a pan and into the oven. I love salt, but I figured with the prosciutto there's really no need for it especially since I was using an old pan with salt in the bottom. Let it bake for about 15 minutes (I think). Take it out of the oven and add the rest of the prosciutto to the top. Take it out of the pan and let it bake on the rack for another 10 to 15 minutes (once again, I think, I was doing other stuff, so I'm not sure, just don't let it burn). Oh, I forgot, remember to sprinkle on the balsamic vinegar before you put the flat bread in the oven the first time. It helps to take some of the bite from the basil. If you've ever eatin it plain, you'll know it's really strong. Which brings me to another recipe that should be shared at this time, since I've posted two basil themed recipes in a row. I got it from the restaurant I work at. It's called a Marco Polo, and I'm pretty sure our bartender named it and made it up. You muddle kumquat and basil then add lemon juice, club soda, gin, and compari. It's delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment